Statements in Stone
– Architectural Icons of the English Country House
The English Country House stands out as an extraordinary architectural manifestation of cultural ambition – found the length and breadth of England. England may have been late to the European Renaissance banquet, but there would be no holding back. These first grand projects were classically inspired but uniquely English – unashamedly – dressed-to-impress.
Immerse yourself on this two centre tour in unlocking the stories of these architectural gems, and tracing the movement of ideas, fashions and taste, through seven of the finest and most significant buildings in England. We will discover some of the most charismatic architecture of the English countryside – enlivened by a supporting cast of excellent country inns.
Our base is Chatsworth House, one of England’s pre-eminent Stately Homes, set within the dramatic landscape of the Derbyshire Peak District.
- Immerse yourself in Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington’s library and original writings and plans such as First Editions of Palladio’s ground breaking Quattro Libri dell’Architettura and Colen Campbell’s Vetruvius Britannicus at the Chatsworth House archive.
- Journey through time from the medieval Tudor Hall to the high Victorian extravagance of houses such as Highclere Castle, the real Downton Abbey.
- Featuring delightful and quintessentially English country inns throughout your tour.
Want to know more?
- Download the full itinerary for Statements in Stone – Architectural Icons of the English Country House.
- Discover more tours – take a look at our inspiring Telling the Stories of England brochure.
- Get in touch with us using the Enquire Now button.
- Telephone our team on +44 1629 700648 or US Toll Free 1-844-221-3366